Thursday, April 15, 2021

A much unanticipated update

Wow, it's been about eight years since I last posted. I now have several YouTube channels and several Twitter accounts. Neither of these were mainstream things when I was last active on this blog. 

I'm now a "technology" para-educator. I have been given the gift of sharing my technical experience with my students and fellow staff.

But enough about me, let's talk about what I want to talk about.

Twitter seems to have killed the RSS feed. I'm not sure when this actually happened, but it has definitely been a paradigm shift. Back in 2009 I remember having Twitter but not knowing how to use it. My RSS subscriptions, however, gave me everything I was interested in. 

What is funny is that most of the sites I followed now have Twitter accounts. Anyone can be on Twitter but not everyone has their own website. However, the majority of the Twitter accounts I follow now have their own websites. It seems to have flip-flopped.

It amazes me that a lot of these accounts will publish posts on their website but their readership depends on the sharing of their links on their Twitter account. In my opinion, Twitter has become a broken, less efficient version of RSS that allows for a brief post summary in addition to the blog link rather than just a post title and link.

No comments:

Post a Comment